Wednesday 27 March 2013

When Does a Touch mean Everything?

There are studies that show babies develop stronger immune systems when they are held and cradled immediately following birth.

So why do we think that changes as we grow older?

It really does hurt my heart to know that our society has perverted the idea of touch so much, that we don't know what good, pure, loving touch is anymore. I'm going to highlight some types of touch that are loving, show kindness, and help people heal:

  • A heart-felt hug - I'm not talking about the kind where you're afraid to touch people in the process, or you're truly afraid to let people feel your skin. I'm talking about the ones where your spirit wraps the receiver of that hug. When you give a hug out of pure love, the person may not be able to articulate the feeling, but the really do feel it. And, it heals the soul in the process.

  • Hold a face in admiration - look at the one you dearly love, and be in awe of their beauty and presence. Exchange no words, and just honour their presence. 

  • Reach out and touch somebody's hand - I couldn't help myself but think of this hymn I grew up singing. In the case where you're unsure of how a hug or face-hold would be received, simply holding someone's hand and exchanging energy, may be all a person needs to know they are listened to and appreciated.  
There are so many other ways in which we can show somebody we care, show them that they matter to us, and plain out give a damn about others... In a world where it seems like those small gestures have been forgotten, I'd like to see them brought back.

To touch is human. To touch with love, care, and acknowledgment of people is divine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my heart-felt gratitude for being a part of my work, my life, and my journey :).

Tash.