Tuesday 23 April 2013

Stereotypes Alive and Kicking?

As I spoke with The Passion Professor and Ms Word in preparation for our show this Thursday, I started to think of all the still too-normal stereotypes that we have in our world:
  • Your doctor(s) should always be White. 

  • Need your nails done? Better be Asians.

  • Want to know what's the most in-style music? Well, it'll be sure to be sung by a Black rap artist.

You think I'm playing? Watch any blockbuster big budget movie and you'll still see these roles well played... Heck, it still exists in commercials and anywhere in big media.

Part of the reason why its important that we call this out is so that we can realize that in this day and age we can do so much better than this!!! 

How?

Do not let race, culture, income, neighborhood or any other marker define who YOU are. Don't become anyone's clown or pawn. YOU choose what you want to be. YOU choose what your likes are. YOU choose what you identify with. YOU choose what makes you YOU.

YOU choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my heart-felt gratitude for being a part of my work, my life, and my journey :).

Tash.